Sanierung Kloster St. Anna

On 2nd November 2008, the new rooms at the Franciscan monastery St. Anna were blessed during a large festive ceremony. The extensive refurbishment of the site, of which some of the buildings date back to 1827, was planned and managed by Hild und K Architects. The goal of Andreas Hild and Dionys Ottl was to join the assorted building elements, which had grown over the years to form this historical monastery complex, and create a stylistically homogenous whole.

A new building, too, now replacing a dilapidated edifice of the post-war period, integrates naturally into the ensemble and interprets existing elements in modern way. So, for example, the plaster borders around the orthogonal windows of the ground floor mirror and refine the old, bow shaped windows.

At the same time, the architecture has to meet a variety of functional requirements. St. Anna is a city monastery, the future headquarters of the Franciscan monks in Germany, a place for church services, talks, sophisticated church music, offering room for confession and dialogues, and a shelter for the homeless and the poor. This resulted in a number of unusual building tasks like, for example, the design of the monastery’s treasury, whose architecture in its simplicity takes second place behind the exhibits and their spiritual standing. Likewise the furniture and lights, designed by Hild & K, seek aesthetic analogy to the spirit of the order. Purposely kept simple, the interior design accentuates to a large extent the effect of elementary shapes, colours and materials like oak or leather.