Landtagsgaststätte Maximilianeum

The Maximilianeum in Munich was built in 1874 according to plans of Friedrich Bürklein and has experienced several extensions over the years. Since 1949, it has been the seat of the Bavarian Parliament. The restaurant, in the older part of the building, had last been renovated in the early eighties and no longer fulfilled modern aesthetic or hygienic demands. After the renovation, the four dining rooms now serve as representative meeting points where parliamentarians and visitors alike are invited to linger, while at the same time they remain an integral part of this important historical monument. The historical context was created by Andreas Hild und Dionys Ottl using a floral Bürklein ornament they had discovered in the Maximilianeum. Various interpretations of it serve as variations on a theme in three of the four individual dining areas.

For the semicircular Garden Room (“Gartensaal”), the architects designed a wooden bench which hugs the wall. The historical motif is carved into its high back. The newly designed self-service counter makes catering for groups of visitors to the ‘tavern’ much easier. A suspended acoustic ceiling, perforated with a pattern resembling the lozenges found in the Bavarian flag, spans the room. The “Gartensaal” accesses a new and central entrance to the “Maximiliansaal”, where the entwined Bürklein floral design has been replicated in stucco relief. It decorates the walls of the festive dining area for the parliamentarians.

The motif is repeated on the walls of the Bürklein Room, this time, however, as a painting. It rather resembles a much enlarged light projection at the front end of the room and stands out from the rest of the wall solely through its high glossy surface. In this room, as also in the “Gartensaal” and “Maximiliansaal”, the floors have been covered with new oak floor boards with a walnut frieze. All in all, the motifs and paintings are modelled on historical themes – also in the “Bayernzimmer” (Bavaria Room), where only minimal changes were allowed to the existing structure. The old, worn furniture was replaced with new pieces which, to a large extent, were exclusively designed by the architects themselves. On 10th November 2009, the redesigned and refurbished restaurant area was inaugurated.